I've been listening to Chavela's version of Cruz de Olvida and Adios Mi Chaparrita all week and I think it's put me in a funky mood. The rain, the emotional chapter with Don Octavio, an impending cold that I'm feeling, and a longing to visit mi corazon (who lives in Hawaii now) all resulted in the work above. I made this piece at around 3:00AM, the only one left in studio with only the gentle rain outside to keep me company. The ocean and water have always been the source of great joy and great heartache for me, and rain was making the distance between Eileen and I feel even greater than it already is.
Me alejare de ti
con un dolor
dentro de mi
We chose to pursue school apart from one another despite our devotion to what we have together. When we're busy, the distance dissolves. When it's late at night and you're listening to Chavela harmonize with the rain I find myself wondering why me aleje de ti in the first place.
The drops of rain ripple around certain words that resonated with me from Don Octavio:
las heridas son flores
palabras que no dicen nada y decen todo...
Life is little more than a collection of choices--choices that result in the memories that build up an entire life. While I am not one to live with regret, it has been a strain permeating many of the song's we've learned together this semester, yet the singer of Cruz de Olvida seems to deny regret despite the dolor y hastio that their choice has brought.

No comments:
Post a Comment