The dashed line signifies the lonesome protagonists of so many of our songs walking a lonely road somewhat aimlessly. Where the line touches the pattern are moments close to death... or perhaps longing for one's love or home. The radial patterns represent the other side and are meant to imply layers of earth. Above the earth is a layer of balazos/bullets preparing la cama de piedra and capped by headstones rising from the bullet field.
The headstones also begin to suggest the stark landscape of the north of Mexico, where I have always imagined the revolutionaries to have spent considerable amounts of time.
After listening to Sanchez's bittersweet songs of the revolution I felt I had to abstract the feelings conjured inside through a diagram/map rather than literal representations of headstones, sarapes, or guns. I hope this piece came close to conveying what the songs stirred up inside.


No comments:
Post a Comment